BasePress allows you to create a new knowledge base theme from scratch. This article will guide you through the basic steps to set-up a new theme.
Read this article if you rather want to customize a BasePress theme.
To build your own theme follow these instructions:
- Open your WordPress theme folder
- Create a new folder called ‘basepress’
- Inside the ‘basepress’ folder create a new folder with the name of the knowledge base theme you want to build
- Place all the necessary files that make up a theme inside this folder
The easiest way to create a new theme is to copy all the files from one of the default themes that come with BasePress and replace the code in the files according to your needs. In this way you’ll be sure to have all the theme files needed.
When you create a new theme make sure to:
- Give your theme folder a unique name, different from other BasePress themes
- Add at the top of your theme’s css file the name of the theme, as you want it to appear in the settings page, like in the example below. BasePress only uses and recognizes themes that have this variable.
/* Theme Name: Your Theme Name */